Skip to main content

Nomads kept their current unbeaten run intact but will wonder how they did not come away with all 3 points today. That is not a reflection on the game itself but more on the NINE minutes of extra time played by the referee in which the home side got their equaliser from a penalty kick

A draw was probably all Nomads could expect from the game as they were nowhere near their best today and the home side seemed to be much keener and won almost every 50/50 ball in the opening period of the match.

After about 15 minutes the visitors settled into the game and began to find space in behind the Eccleshall back line, but neither Kyle Foley or Danny Mclaughlin were able to finish when opportunities came their way. The latter having a shot cleared off the line having rounded the keeper and got a shot on target

The defining moment was to be for the home side as a speculative ball was put up in the air and not dealt with by Nomads defence, leading to a free kick just outside the box. The kick was played on the floor in the box and finished comfortably past Alex Fowell to make it 1-0 just on half time.

Nomads didn’t start the 2nd half Much better and were immediately under pressure but managed to limit chances to long range or half chances while starting to get more of a grip in the middle of the park and free up Max Lewens a little more on the left wing.
In fact it was one of Lewens’ runs which brought the Nomads equaliser as he raced past two defenders before laying the ball in the path of Kyle Foley who side stepped the defender and slotted past the keeper.

This seemed to bring a bit more life into Nomads and it was soon 2-1 as a crossed ball into the box was headed home by Danny McLaughlin

The home team pushed for an equaliser but Nomads defence held firm and there were chances on the break for the game to be put to bed but these were spurned and would prove costly.

On the 75th minute mark, Nomads were reduced to ten men temporarily as Charlie Mulgrew was sin binned. The 10 men dug in though and defended stoutly and indeed were still looking to exploit the hosts on the break.

With the game looking like it would end up as a win for Nomads, there was to be another twist. The game was tied as Eccleshall were awarded a penalty in the 98th minute when Tom Greenfield was adjudged to have fouled the Eccleshall player.

Thanks to Eccleshall for their hospitality and we look forward to seeing you for the return fixture in the new Year