The Nomads have been central to community life in the Cheadle Heath area of Stockport for more than 100 years. They have also helped to launch the careers of some of the game’s famous names, including Everton legend and local boy, Harry Catterick.
The club was formed immediately after World War 1 in 1919, when a group of local gentlemen (Messrs. Sanderson, Bentley, Hopwood, Hulme, Johnson, Taylor and Nuttall) began a fundraising project to fund £1,000 (equivalent to around £60,000 today) to acquire a piece of land in Cheadle Heath, in order to establish a sports club for local people.
In 1921, this club opened its doors for the very first time with Cheadle Heath Nomads FC at its core, though it also provided high quality facilities for the playing of cricket, tennis and ladies’ hockey. At that time, the club’s original first-choice colours were green and yellow quarters, changing to our present claret and blue strip shortly after the Second World War.
The founding fathers of Cheadle Heath Nomads became the club’s first trustees, and today we remain a trusteeship owning our own land and remaining the community focal point they envisaged more than a century ago.